Friday, January 10, 2014

A Threesome, A Coward and a 5,000th

No fiction today I'm afraid. I've had a near terminal case of "man flu" this week. Whilst my nose has been running, the creative juices have not. Thanks for all the offers to proofread my next Novella too. Need to get that emailed out this weekend. So rather than a Fiction Friday I present a Fight Friday!

Fiction Friday will be back as normal next week.

A Threesome

First one I was whilst I was out roaming. I was heading back to Nisuwa through Oinasiken where I found three war targets and nobody else in system. I scanned the plex in system and found a Condor, a Slasher and a Rifter. I assumed the Condor and the Slasher were kitey which would be an issue for my rocket Kestrel, so I went for the Rifter. Obviously assuming he'd be autocannon. I entered his plex and engaged.

After months of "Caldari Farmville" it never occurred to me that these guys in local would be anything other than solo. I realised my mistake when the Slasher entered the plex as the Rifter dropped into armour and started actively repping. I really should have looked before if these guys were same corporation which they were. I suddenly find myself the centre of attention in a threesome!


The Slasher engages but I am breaking the Rifter. I overload my rocket launchers and lock up the newcomer. My shields are dropping fast which is going to work to my advantage.... For I was in an armour Kestrel! I imagine that the other two thinking I'm about to go down, but as I enter armour the effective DPS drops off. The Rifter is double webbed so out of his optimal and the Slasher is firing EMP against my 400mm plate. The overheat on the rockets have done the trick and the Rifter is breaking nicely whilst the Slasher is moving off. I keep the DPS on the Rifter and head towards the Slasher. Rifter goes down but Slasher has got out of point and web range. Just....

I overheat the AB, scram and webs. After a few cycles of hot AB, I just manage to get some webs on him to slow him down, but the overheated AB burns out the adjacent overheated web on the next cycle. Thankfully the Slasher is within 10km now and doesn't have a web so I can catch up even with only one web. A second later and I'm in range now and my Rage rockets are hitting again. I stop the overheats but I am down to a single web and scram now. He is dual sensor damp relying on those top provide his tank. Without any real tank at close-range he goes Pop! My Kestrel was well into armour and had one web burnt out with most of the other mods at 70-90% damage. What a great little fight!

We give "gf" in local and a few minutes later they are back together in the same set-up. I know they aren't going to make the same mistake and my surprise armour Kestrel is no longer a surprise! So I warp out of the plex as one announces in local "LEEEEEROY JENKINS!" and they warp in. A couple of nice players who enjoy a good fight in combat equipped ships. A rarity in my TZ for Cal Mil. I explained in local one threesome is my limit for the evening and jump out.

A Coward

Then a while later I find a Daredevil in Hirri. I'm only in a Kestrel (different fit) but thought I'd give it a try. I land on the plex acceleration gate and do a short scan. Gone! I do a max-scan. Nothing. Mmmmmmm... I warp off and rescan. He's in the same plex.

CLOAKY MOTHERF............


I try a couple of times but always the same. He cloaks as soon as he gets me on a near scan, and decloaks as soon as I warp off. Time for "The Traitor"!

I prefer a straight fight as before, a good honest head-to-head. Cloaks and stabs REALLY annoy me and I'll do what ever I can to ruin your day if you are rollin' around like that. I have a low-skill alt in the Amarr militia for times like this. Being in the Amarr he does not take a militia standings hit for attacking Caldari Militia. Also he shows up as a "purple" in local the same as other Caldari Militia and the 'allied' Amarr militia. Most of these farmers don't have their overview set up to see militia type so automatically assume that as it is in the Caldari/Gallente war-zone he is Caldari militia. A often fatal mistake.

My alt gets to the acceleration gate and the Daredevil cloaks up again. Situation normal. My alt enters the plex and it is empty. I sit there a while and as I hoped, the Daredevil uncloaks to show "This plex is taken, move along". He sits there nearly 30km off the warp-in not moving. I activate the afterburner on my alt's 'Breacher of Doom' and start over towards him. He stays still, not moving. He's assuming I'm friendly. I'm not.

After what feels like a half hour I near 10km and lock him up and before he can react I'm 8k and he's webbed and dual scrammed. As I was locking him, I also warped Drackarn to the Plex. The Breacher is purely fit for tackling cloaked and stabbed farmers. He has no DPS, just lots of tackle and tank.


The Daredevil just sits there... I get Drackarn into the plex and open up. The Daredevil dies in short order. Good ridance I say! So how was this elite member of the Caldari Militia fit?

Daredevil [Pussy Fit]

2 x 150m "Musket" Railguns (Yes, COSMOS railguns!)
1 x Prototype Cloaking Device

T2 Shield Booster
Meta Small Shield Extender
T2 MWD

3 x Meta Warp Core Stabalisers
1 x Meta Overdrive Injector

2 x Small Processor Overclocking Rigs

Somewhere, out in Fountain, there is a team of Guardian Angel Starship Engineers, quietly sobbing.


A 5,000th

Finally there was a very special kill for me...

I was sat in a plex in my Arty Party Tristan (yes, an artillary Tristan! Live with it!) when I got an Imperial Navy Slicer on short scan. Now Navy Slicers are tricky, brawlers die to them, and my 6km optimal is not going to help when being kited at 20km. But, he is warping into me, if I can get him, I win, if he burns out I'm dead.

I launch Warrior II's knowing they are not going to be too helpful if he does get out of range and I overheat my scram and web and turn on the AB. He enters and I try to approach him, lock him, overheat the AB and activate the scram and web all at the same time. I need two more arms. I manage to do everything and he gets out to 8km before I start to gain ground. In the words of Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith - "I have you now!".

I get a 6km orbit going and as a kiter he stands no chance. Why was this special? I've killed Slicers before with T1 frigates. This kill was special as it was my 5,000th kill in Eve (according to eve-kill)!

I convo'd the guy and asked him to pick a number between 1 and 44. He chose 14. I counted along 14 items in my "Faction Loot" can and I offered him a Dark Blood armour plate.

5,000 down, and here's to the next 5,000!


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on yoru achievement.
    If that daredevil had been nr 5000 would have you offered him the same reward or would you wait until nr 5001 to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Already had thought of that and had a plan in place. Someone on Twitter had suggested the genius idea of giving them all the looted warp core stabs I've collected. Got over 100 :)

      Delete
  2. Very enjoyable story, thanks for sharing it! I like the idea of offering your victim a random gift, I might try that one day.

    ReplyDelete