Monday, January 11, 2016

A Wee Dram

So rather than moaning about the use of bling* in low-sec, I thought I'd have a play around with some.


I've been flying around in a Dramiel over the weekend and have found it a lot of fun. I'm a bit more careful with the fights but given the cost of the ship verses what I usually fly I think thats only to be expected. Where as I'd regularly "give it a go" even if it was unlikely I'd win, I'm picking and choosing engagements. This is a bit of a problem in the GMT+4 timezone as there isn't a massive choice of targets about.

I've gone with a 125mm autocannon fit. Obviously these are fairly small relative to the 250's but give me more options on the fitting. I get 200dps from the ship so not too bad for small guns. A lot of the power grid is sucked up by the twin propulsion on the fit. A MWD to get me into the fight and a AB to get me out of the fight if needed. And I have needed!


My first kill with it was a Vigil Fleet Issue. I was roaming and warped to a large plex to find The Maulus Navy Issue kiting a -10 pirate, I think it was a Phantasm. Now normally I would have whored onto the Succubus hoping that I could get out before the Vigil Fleet Issue pointed me. However, this particular Succubus was piloted by Deryn Angrard, an old friend from my QCats days (I was with QCats up to end of 2014). Obviously this made a difference. A "space-friend" tackled by a kiter meant I zoomed in a killed the Vigil. Whilst DA and I are "Space-friends" we can, and do, kill each other. So once the Maulus popped I was not 100% sure what would happen so I just MWD'd away. We chatted in local before a Myrmidon landed. Whilst I had no intention of going for a Myrmidon, Deryn pointed out it was a streamer so probably not bait and worth a try. So Dramiel and Succubus vs Myrmidon. Sorry, Dramiel and Succubus vs 125mm autocannon fit frigate-killing-speciality Myrmidon. With an overheated AB and an overheated armour repairer I just got out of point range and managed to warp before I assploded all over the plex. 30% structure on a Dram is a pretty close one especially when your repper and cap are drier than 007's Martinis. Deryn stayed and the Myrmidon got him. On the bright side a small gang turned up a minute later and killed the Myrmidon so we got on the killmail!


My last kill with the Dram as I write this was a Firetail. There was someone baiting with a Recon in the area so we decided to try and bait the baiter. I was sat in a medium plex in my Dramiel with boss man Rixx Javix in a Rook feeling... well....

Rixx Javix > i feel dirty, even for a pirate

The guy we were after never came through. However a curious Firetail entered the plex with the Rook being hidden from D-Scan and obviously didn't fair well against the two of us.

Tears, rage and references to FAG scrolled in local for a few minutes. Didn't expect "GF" but "Good trap!" is always an option I find when I herpa-derp into situations like this.

So far Dramiel is fun to fly, but I'm getting less fights. Right, time to try a different type of bling!


*Bling as a term is subjective. If your hull usually costs 500k ISK then 20m is Bling. To me personally a Dram is Bling. To a hard-core "I don't undock in anything worth less than a billion" its obviously not!

10 comments:

  1. Awe this makes me sad. As much crap Rixx gives pilots that fit WCS he has the nerve to sit in a plex in a Rook. It sounds like Rixx is using the game mechanics to his advantage. Hopefully this "pirate" (coward actually) will quiet complaining about pilots using game mechanics to their advantage. I think you "pirates" grow some huge man balls and start living up to a "pirates" reputation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you may have read, it was a trap for someone who was doing the same and Rixx wasn't happy about it, hence the comment I copy and pasted. Poor Firetail pilot got unlucky.

      Delete
    2. I keep a fitted Rook in my hangar for one reason and that is to pull Corp mates out of dire situations when they occur. This is rare, but it has happened and the ship has been useful several times for saving someone's ass.

      The only reason I brought it out in this case was because we only had a few pilots around and we wanted to catch a Recon baiter at his own game. The Firetail just got unlucky and landed on us while we were trying to spring the trap. As Drak can attest I didn't remain and continue doing it, I docked up and got back into a real ship as soon as possible.

      Delete
    3. It's hard to create a reputation when everyone including pvpers or fleets run from your lone battleships or hacs :)

      - DA

      Delete
    4. To Anonymous: As much as I don't understand killing just for killing sake (think of all the poor widows and orphans they create every time the ship crew dies), you can't say these guys should man up to live up to a "pirate's reputation".

      A pirate in most cases throughout history worked on the premise of going after a sure thing, and running away from anything that looked like an even fight. It was the only way to survive.

      In fact, these guys are more just flat out crazy, not pirates at all. 2 faction frigates going after a battlecruiser is a high risk operation, and not one "pirates" historically would undertake, unless there was a big material payoff. That was clearly not the case.

      So you could call these guys "crazy psychopaths with an insatiable bloodlust, out for some harmless fun against like-minded people", but not pirates.

      Delete
    5. Exactly! Rixx calling himself a pirate then hiding in a complex flying a rook is cowardly. Real pirates know the difference. These two guys aren't pirates, crazy psychopath with an insatiable bloodlust perhaps but not pirates. Anyone can hide in a rook, I'm really disappointed in Rixx:-(

      Delete
    6. All I'm getting here is "lalala I'm not listening lalala".

      It was a trap to give some karma back to a pilot who was doing this same thing. As soon as he left system the trap was ended and Rixx docked up the Rook and we went hunting in frigates again. But completely ignore this if you want and keep going....

      Delete
    7. All I'm getting here is "lalala I'm not listening lalala".

      It was a trap to give some karma back to a pilot who was doing this same thing. As soon as he left system the trap was ended and Rixx docked up the Rook and we went hunting in frigates again. But completely ignore this if you want and keep going....

      Delete
  2. First it was a vigil, then it turned into a maulus vs phantasm and then back to vigil and phantasm turned succubus. Me is confused. But good story. I have yet to dare take out a Dram, and then I usually fly T3s in WH space... But they just feel so flimsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drafted this from memory and then looked on KB and saw my memory (as I turn old on Monday) was not what it was. It was Fleet Vigil and Succubus even though I was sure they were different ships. Thought I corrected it all. Nope! :P

      Delete